The Pilot Station and Boat Shed are a unique venue for hosting Community Programs and Artist Residences. It is truly a Place for the Community which offers a unique venue for:
- artist and writer residencies. (These are open to professional Australian or International artists by application or invitation).
- community environmental, educational and cultural events,
- collaborative residencies linking arts, environment and community.
Examples of recent residential programs have included Weavers, Poets, Artists, Musicians and Writers.
- The Camden Head Pilot Station offers:
- An inspirational natural environment with outstanding national parks and nature reserves at its doorstep
- An ideal workshop/studio space in a large converted former boatshed on site
- A former Pilot’s Office suitable as a study
- A spacious 3 bedroom cottage large enough for family or friends with TV, DVD, dishwasher, microwave and washing machine
- a secluded creative retreat
- close to major centre of Port Macquarie for all material requirements
- a vibrant local arts scene - Port Macquarie Hastings Regional Gallery; the Glasshouse Arts, Conference and Entertainment Centre; AquaSculpture environmental art event; Kendall National Violin Competition and regular cultural events presented by the Camden Haven and Wauchope Community Arts Councils throughout the year
Two types of residency are available:
1. Subsidised Residencies
The Pilot Station welcomes applications from artists for residencies of 1 - 2 weeks where artists propose to spend most of the time on their own creative work but are prepared to engage with the community by offering one or more of the following:
- An event open to the community such as a performance or a reading
- Educational workshop(s)
- Open studio day(s) with talks about their work
- Other community activities proposed by the artist
- A reduced rental rate may be negotiated for subsidised residencies
2. Self - Funded Residencies
Commercial holiday accommodation rates apply and no application is necessary. See below how to contact the Pilot Station.
Inspired by the Pilot Station?
Exercise your imagination and contact us with proposals for creative residencies or community events appropriate to the site's natural and cultural heritage.